Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Nearly Match Week!

This is probably going to be my last post on this blog. I haven't posted since last July!! I think the issue is that although  I love blogging, I don't find weekly updates about my own life really compelling. So I may start another blog, but it will likely have different/more branched out content. Anyhow, here's what's been going on! I did 2 weeks in the adult ICU, as I posted. Then a month of NICU, a month of child neurology (when I fell in love with the field and decided I would apply in Child Neurology, a 5-year double board residency), a month of genetics, pediatric rheumatology, and a month of adult Medicine Sub-I (where you are supposed to function like an intern). The latter was at our county hospital, which was overwhelming. One dude came in with a CD4 count (a measure of how bad your AIDS is)  of 4. Normal is in the high hundreds. So from July - November, I was on service continuously.

Then, I spent two months interviewing with child neurology programs. I did take a week off for Christmas, but it was such a whirlwind it didn't feel like a real break. This usually included a two-day interview with both pediatrics and child neurology. I went to 20 programs all over the country!!! By the end of it, I was incredibly tired and had been sick twice :)

Next week is Match Week. On Monday, I find out whether I matched in the original algorithm, and on Friday, I find out where I'm going. I've been super nervous, but Match Week is finally almost here. And then, I'm going South to do an away rotation where B is currently working. So he can't come to Match Day, but my mom and dad will both be there. It's a highly emotional day and some people are really unhappy with what they get, so I'm glad my school's Match Day is so chill (breakfast and then everyone opens their envelopes at the same time when the clock strikes 9). Last year, two of my friends were very unhappy with their matches -- one in Emergency, one is Psychiatry. Both matched to good programs, but not their top choices.

Also, Dusky the still-beautiful cat is ill with a nasal cancer and has been placed on oral chemo and kittycat hospice. She is doing okay (eating, drinking, meowing, sleeping), but has about 2-3 months by the vet's estimate, less by my own. She's much more timid than she used to be and has lost 5 pounds, but I think she believes she just has a left-sided cold. The diagnosis is nasal lymphosarcoma. I've had her since I was a teenager and literally can't imagine life without her. Sigh. Poor wee cat.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I can't wait to hear where you match!
    Send my love to Dusky :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your blogs over this period. Perhaps you should end this blog series
    with news of your placement and possibly some advice for aspiring medical graduates...
    Good luck and lots of love, AV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comments! The cat is still here, but I think getting close to the end of her kitty time. Lovely creature.

    ReplyDelete